We've all got our excuses for not working out, but if yours is: I don't know how, then it's time to get over it and learn.
Here is the thing; there are many ways you can overcome that excuse, such as:
- Do what you know. Everyone knows how to walk fast or jog and most of us know how to do a few push-ups, sit-ups and jumping-jacks, so get to it. You don't have to get fancy right away (or ever for that matter).
- Hire a personal trainer. That is basically why they are there for, so take advantage of it.
- Utilize the gym staff. Believe it or not the staff at the gym is good for more than just checking your membership card when you walk in. If you don't know how to use a machine, ask.
- Utilize learning sessions. Most gyms offer a free session with one of the house trainers to take you through the gym and teach you how to use the machines. Don't be afraid that they are going to push you to workout; this is usually just an informative session.
- Check out my videos to learn a few moves. They're fun, easy, informative and free.
- Try a DVD. DVDs are cheap and informative, plus if you are worried about not knowing what to do, you can mess up in the comfort of your own home.
- Don't worry about what others think. Chances are that 95% of the people in the gym are learning as they go along too, so don't worry too much about the chick next to you that looks like she's a pro -- Anyone can buy a pair of lifting gloves.