There are plenty of times during the day when you may find yourself standing around. Maybe you're waiting for the bus or subway, riding the elevator by yourself, or maybe sautéing veggies. Even though you are standing in place, you don't have to stand still. There are plenty of ways for you to move your body around and burn a few extra calories. Some of these you may want to hold off on and try in the privacy of your own home.
- Stand with your feet together and lift both heels up and down.
- Stand with your feet under your hips and sway from side to side, and do circular motions with your hips clockwise and then counterclockwise.
- Bend your leg behind you, grab onto your foot and stretch the front of your right quad. Do both sides. Here's more details on this quad stretch.
- Bend one knee and kick your foot back behind you, and then quickly alternate between sides.
- Stand tall and alternate bending one knee up to your chest and then the other. Do slow, controlled movements to work your abs, or make the moves quicker to get your heart rate up.
Want to see what else you can do? Then
- To warm up your hips and tone your abs, stand with your feet slightly wider than hip-width distance apart, and do figure eights with your hips (it's a belly dancing move).
- Run or hop in place.
- Do side leg raises to work your outer thighs.
- Do some squats.
- If you're in line at the grocery store, pick up something in your cart and do bicep curls.
- Do tree pose or another balancing yoga posture.
Alright, maybe most of these you wouldn't want to try out in public, but you can always try them during a commercial break or something.