A writer with the Associated Press thinks our fair country is due for a new fad diet since carbs were demonized oh so long ago. Will it be a revival of the grapefruit diet returning from the 80s along with leg warmers and pegged jeans? I'm thinking something involving green tea and miso soup sounds more 2007. What do you think?
Well the Calorie Control Council has made some very optimistic predictions for dieting trends for the year 2007. They are:
1) Restaurants will serve more low-calorie and reduced-fat foods.
2) Consumers will create personalized eating plans, instead of eliminating entire food groups (read carbs).
3) Exercise will become part of the “everyday.”
4) Functional light foods will gain popularity.(I'm still trying to figure this one out - I think apples, bananas and oranges are functional since they travel well in a purse, diaper or gym bag.)
5) Healthy living will become a family matter as childhood obesity becomes more of a publicized issue.
None of these predictions scream FAD to me. They seem a bit more like sound advice we should all consider turning into personal trends this year.
Visit the Calorie Control website for more information on dieting and health.