I find it more than a bit ironic that the foods most of us associate with going to the State Fair are fried, processed and just plain bad for you. The fair is supposed to be a celebration of farming and farm life (I love visiting all the animals from 4H competitions).
I would think the food at fairs would feature fresh produce rather than deep fried food served on sticks. Last year, the Minnesota State Fair featured 54 different food items conveniently served on sticks, and it seems our desire for deep fried food runs deep as soon as our feet hit the fairground.
Here is a list of fare to avoid when you go to the fair. Keeping these items out of your belly might just keep you from belly aching after riding the Tilt-a-Whirl or the Zipper.
- Fried Snickers (5 oz.): 444 calories and 29 grams (g) fat
- Fried Twinkie (2 oz.): 420 calories/34 g fat
- Funnel cake (1): 760 calories/44 g fat
- Twinkie Dog Sundae: 500 calories/14 g fat
- Cotton candy: 171 calories/0 fat
- Fried cheesecake (6 oz.): 655 calories/47 g fat
- Foot-long hot dog and bun: 470 calories/26 g fat
- Giant turkey leg: 1,136 calories/54 g fat
Let me just remind you that deep fried Twinkies are as bad for you as they sound.
Tell me, what is the most outrageous food you have eaten at a fair? I am curious so let me know in the comments section below.