Did you know that the median onset of anorexia for girls is between the ages of 11 and 13, but the disease has been noted even in elementary school children?
As today marks the kick off of Fashion Week in New York and all eyes are on the shows for the fashions (of course) but also to see if the models will be less thin than in previous shows. This change (hopefully) comes after the fashion industry has been scrutinized after two models recently starved themselves to death. Models this year are supposed to have a BMI of 18.5 or above to be allowed to participate in the shows, so we'll see how that pans out.
Eating disorders are not to be ignored and while some, like Gisele, point fingers at families, experts believe that there is a lot more to it than just parenting. So to keep an eye out and help anyone that may have an eating disorder, the National Eating Disorder Association has outlined several eating disorder warning signs to look out for:
- Dramatic loss of weight
- Preoccupation with calorie-counting
- Frequent use of a weight scale
- Obsession with exercise
- Binge eating and/or purging
- Food "rituals" -- taking tiny bites, ignoring certain food groups, rearranging food on the plate
- Eating alone, or avoiding meals altogether
- Use of laxatives/diuretics
- Smoking aimed at suppressing appetite
- Frequent criticism of self as "fat," which increases despite weight loss
Love the fashions and can't wait to see the fall clothes, then be sure to check out Fab's coverage of Fashion Week!