One excuse I hear all the time coming from people who don't workout is that they just "Don't have the space to do it."
I lived in a small apartment in NYC for years and while I feel your pain, there are other ways to get active than just plunking a big ole' treadmill in your house. So here are some options:
- While your apartment (or house) may be small, the great outdoors is not. Go outside and start walking, running, etc.
- Maybe you don't have space for a treadmill, but you most likely have a TV and a DVD player to play fitness videos on. I've reviewed a bunch of great workout DVDs that you may want to try for yourself. Believe it or not the Rock Your Body with Jamie King DVD requires very little space to do.
- Still not enough space to workout along to a video where your TV is? Recruit a friend, who happens to have a decent size space, to do the DVD with you at her house. You may even find out she's been wanting to start working out too!
- Exercise bands take up no space and are great for resistance training. I love to travel with exercise bands because I can toss them in my suitcase on top of all my clothes -- Apply this concept to your home as well.
- Learn to love one (or all) of these things: Jump ropes, hula hoop and inline skates. They're all easy to tuck under a bed or in a closet and they're all great workouts.
- Now you see 'em, now you don't. Get a pair of Aquabells - water inflatable and collapsible dumbbells. When you're not using them, deflate them (let the water out) and store them away.