You have a demanding job, you go to school full-time, you're a mom, you volunteer, you have appointments, and a dog, and a daily to-do list five miles long. There's no way you can fit exercising into the mix, right? Not having enough time to workout is a valid excuse, until you realize that free time doesn't just magically appear in your schedule — you have to make it happen.
Don't feel like you have to start off with an hour-long routine at the gym. Begin with short workouts. Do 10 minutes a day, or 20 minutes a few times a week. Find ways to move throughout your day. A little goes a long way, and a few minutes here and there definitely add up. For some quick workout ideas,
- Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier so you can go for a jog, or pop in a fitness DVD.
- If you have to make a phone call, walk up and down the stairs while you chat.
- Do push-ups, crunches, lunges, and squats while watching your favorite TV show.
- Go for a 20-minute walk with a friend after dinner. Not only will it burn calories, but it'll help clear your mind so you'll be ready for bed.
- Sign up for a series of dance classes. They usually happen one night week, so you can set aside a few hours in your schedule ahead of time.
- Instead of sitting at your desk on your lunch break, slip on your sneaks and hit the gym or go for a walk. Then you can eat afterward while you work.
If you have any other ideas for fitting in quick workouts, please share them below.