Doritos, Fritos, Oreos, gummy bears, Lays potato chips, Snickers, M&Ms, Butterfingers, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Hershey Bars, Lifesavers, Twizzlers! I know this sounds like a PMS wish list, but this is the "food" in the snack vending machine where I work. You call that crap a snack?!
I'm usually one to bring my lunch and snacks from home, and this is a major reason why - It's hard to find healthy food in a pinch. It's really becoming annoying! I mean, what kind of message is this sending to kids (and adults) when everywhere they turn is sugar, partially hydrogenated oil and trans fat!
I wish we could replace all those crappy snacks with healthy, energy-giving munchies that are made of actual food. Here's what I'd put in my healthy vending machine:
- granola bars like ones made by Kashi and
- Whole grain crackers like TLC crackers
- Tiny tubs of real peanut butter (just peanuts - no sugar or corn syrup)
- Packages of mixed nuts
- Packages of dried fruit
- Bear Naked Trail Mix
- Nature's choice cereal bars
- Newman's Own Organic pretzels
- Gardin of Eatin' Tortilla chips (I love Pico de Gallo)
- Endangered Species Chocolate bars
Fit's Tips: Until YoNaturals, the San Diego based company with the healthy vending machine idea gets its machines into the world, be your own vending machine. I always keep granola bars and ziploc baggies of trail mix in my purse and gym bag just in case.