In case you missed it, the Olympic games open this Friday, and I am awfully excited to watch. Gymnastics tops my list of events to see, and Shawn Johnson is the gymnast to watch. Not only did she just win a Teen Choice Award for Choice Female Athlete, she also won the women's all-around title in the 2007 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships. Pretty impressive resume for a 16-year-old.
Here are five things to know about Shawn:
- Her strength training routine doesn't involve weights; instead, she performs classic calisthenics like push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups.
- Shawn is four feet, nine inches tall and weighs 90 pounds ( a healthy BMI, by the way).
- She attends high school in Des Moines, Iowa.
For more info and some excellent action shots,
- Images of Shawn currently appear on Coke and McDonald's products. A butter sculpture of Shawn will appear soon at the Iowa state fair — quite a compliment in the Midwest.
- She works out four hours a day during the week and six hours on Saturdays. Her workouts generally follow this schedule: Half an hour of conditioning, stretching, and endurance training, then 50 minutes on each of the four events. Her workouts end with focused "extra tricks."