2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110F to 115F)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
4 1/2 to 5 cups bread flour (she added two cups of whole wheat flour to the dough and 1 tablespoon of vital wheat gluten.)
1 tsp. cornmeal
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the salt, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; kneed until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into 12-inch-long loaves.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cornmeal. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake at 450F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Makes two loaves. Serving size: about 8.
- Breads, Bread
Have a healthy recipe you would like to share? Join our Get Fit For 2010 community group and contest and share your recipe. By participating, you'll be entered into the drawing for our weekly giveaway of a $100 Nike gift card as well as an awesome grand prize.