Everyone loves cookie cake, right? We have a chocolate chip cookie cake that is not only gluten-free but egg- and dairy-free, too. It is full of flavor with a great soft, cakelike texture. Plus the three-ingredient coconut frosting is too good not to try.
Get the recipe after the break!
Chocolate chip cookie cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: about 20 minutes
Makes one eight- or nine-inch circle cake (we did ours in a springform pan, so it's easy to take out)
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour blend (or any flour blend of your liking, gluten-free or not)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (or almond meal or more flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons flax meal with 6 tablespoons water (makes 2 flax gels, or you can use 2 eggs)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sucanat sugar (or coconut sugar or xylitol)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or applesauce, yogurt, or sweet potato puree)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (we use Enjoy Life chocolate chips)
- First make your flax gel before gathering the other ingredients. Place your two tablespoons flax meal into a bowl along with six tablespoons water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Preheat your oven at 350ºF.
- While the flax gel is in the works, grab another bowl to place all your other wet ingredients into: your agave, coconut oil, and pumpkin puree. Stir till combined.
- Next add your flax gel (or eggs, if you would like) and stir.
- Add your gluten-free flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and chocolate chips. Stir till combined. It is a really thick cookie dough cake batter.
- We baked our cake in an eight-inch circle pan for 20 minutes.
Three-ingredient coconut frosting:
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 3–4 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- About 1/4 cup warm coconut butter
We did not really measure this out, just scooped out some coconut butter. We warmed it up in the microwave oven to soften it and then mixed in agave and milk to taste and our preferred texture. So have fun with it!
Share your own healthy recipes with us in our Healthy Recipe group, and we might feature yours on our homepage!