Breakfast getting stale? Try this recipe for gluten-free egg muffins from reader Gabysgfree for a quick weekday breakfast on the go. She shared the recipe in our Healthy Recipe group.
Not quite frittatas, not quite quiches, these portable egg muffins are packed with good-for-you greens like kale and get a healthy kick from fresh jalapeño. They're a great make-ahead meal that you can enjoy all week long!
Read on for the recipe.
- 3 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped into thin ribbons
1/4 small onion, diced, or 4 green onions, finely sliced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1 jalapeño, very finely diced (de-seed and remove the white parts to decrease spice)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
11 egg whites (I use a small carton of organic, free-range liquid egg whites. You can also just use 12 whole eggs if you don’t like egg whites)
7 whole eggs
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and line it with muffin liners (optional).
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, steam prepped kale in the microwave for 2–3 minutes until soft and wilted. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- In that same microwave-safe bowl, add diced onions and microwave for about 1 minute. This helps take away some of the strong, raw oniony taste. Add onions to the bowl with the kale.
- Add cilantro, oregano, jalapeño, salt, and pepper to the same onion/kale mix. Stir to combine. Set aside for now.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together whole eggs, egg whites, salt, and pepper. You want the mixture to ribbon off the whisk and be fully scrambled.
- Distribute the veggie mixture evenly between your 12 muffin cups.
- Distribute egg mixture evenly between the cups, pouring over the veggie mix. I usually use a 1/3-cup measuring cup to do the job.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and puffed up.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Try to remove them to a rack as soon as you can safely do so, while keeping the muffins intact. If they sit in the pan too long, they continue to steam, and the texture can get rubbery.
- Store in your fridge and reheat in a counter-top oven or microwave.
Yields 12 muffins
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
Check out more of Gabbysgfree's recipes at her blog, Gabby's Gluten-Free, and share your own recipes in our Healthy Recipe group!
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.