Equinox, one of my favorite national gyms, has more to it than a pricey monthly fee.
Equinox has gotten a lot of flack for its unusual choice of advertisements, but the brand is actually highly committed to being a green company. Currently here is what has been going on behind the scenes that you may not have known (I know I didn't):
- All the tiles, paint, wood products used to make the gyms include low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds), as well as recycled and rapidly renewable materials.
- It has switched to using low-toxic and natural cleaning products during workout hours, which improve indoor air quality while still maintaining a high level of cleanliness.
There's more so
- It uses recycled paper in all clubs and in the corporate office, as well as have launched initiatives to reduce paper consumption.
- Trion air filtration systems are also being installed to purify the indoor air.
- Will be moving away from energy-intensive incandescent lighting and using more efficient technologies.
- Special showerheads will be installed to control water flow and deliver a luxurious, drenching flow, along with low-flow toilets and waterless urinals that reduce water consumption.
What does all this mean? Well basically that it's not just a swanky gym to see and be seen. Expect even more green initiatives in the future such as brown towels that require a lower washing temp than the standard white towels found at most gyms now. The times are hard, so the high cost may not outweigh the great things going on for you. But it's definitely worth knowing, and applauding.
Way to go Equinox!