Most gyms have these odd looking inflatable discs, but what the heck do you do with it?
Inflatable Balance Disc/Cushion
What is it: A small inflatable cushion/disc that adds an element of instability to a workout. The cushion is typically textured on one side to control tread and minimize tipping. You can easily control the balance challenge by adjusting the inflation (less inflated it is, the harder).
Area of Body it Works: Core and more (depends entirely on how you use it)
Why: The instability, maximizes effort during functional training-- Good for a strong core and lower back.
How: There are many ways you can use the disc but here are some easy ideas --
- Place a cushion under your foot/feet when doing squats and lunges.
- Place two under your feet when doing sit-ups on an exercise ball.
- Place one under your low back when doing crunches on the floor.
- Place two under your hands (or one under your feet) during push-ups.
- Place one disc under your feet while doing calf raises to strengthen ankles, calves and thighs.
- Place one under your hands or feet during a plank.
- Place one under your booty while sitting on an average chair to increase the strength of your lower abdomen and back muscles, reducing your risk of back injury from sitting all day.
If you have your own use for the balance cushion, share it with us in the comments section below.