There was a time when Gold's Gym was king and super-sized gyms dedicated to lifting weights and bodybuilding ruled the fitness world. But times have changed, and boutique gyms are now the latest and greatest.
The trend now is to get a more personal touch out of a gym membership. This new-found individuality includes some definite perks such as:
- Knowing it's clean and professional
- Not always having to wait in lines for equipment to open up
- Feeling comfortable when using free weights (this means if you're a woman, not having to push through so much testosterone to get to your 8 pound dumbbells)
- Lots of different class choices
- Having additional features such as a spa, clothing boutique, juice bar and maybe even hair salon under the same roof
There is more to know--plus I'll tell you how to work out for FREE--so, read more
Most gyms offer a short period of time (usually a week) for anyone interested in joining to test out the facilities for free. Maybe a boutique gym is for you and maybe it's not, but before joining any gym, take advantage of the free passes. Each gym is totally unique in its feel so this is a great idea if you are looking into joining. Also, some gyms offer different specials per month so always ask what the specials are. Sometimes they have huge initiation fees that are waived certain months.
Fit's Tip: During your free pass, workout at least once during a peak time (lunch and after work) to really see what it's like.