Skip Nav
Workouts
25 No-Equipment Moves That Transform Your Body
Healthy Recipes
12 Smoothies That Satisfy Intense Chocolate Cravings
Healthy Recipes
6 Ways to Make Chinese New Year a Healthy Celebration

Healthy To-Do: Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors

At the beginning of the year, it's a great idea to check all the smoke detectors in your home, and replace batteries as necessary. That's not the only detector you need though. Aside from a fire, carbon monoxide (CO) is something else to think about. This gas is colorless, tasteless, odorless, and is lethal in high concentrations. CO is produced by many of your household appliances, and if they aren't working properly or aren't properly ventilated, CO can build up in the air leading to carbon monoxide poisoning. This can cause symptoms similar to the flu, including headaches, nausea, and fatigue, and prolonged exposure may result in brain damage and even death. Since it's the number one cause of accidental deaths in the US (500 a year), it's important to know if the CO levels in your home are safe.

To be sure, install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. You can get one that plugs into an outlet ($49), or they also make Combo Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors ($48). If you're only installing one, put it where the majority of you sleep. If you can afford it, put one on every level for added safety. I am curious if you have a CO detector in your home. Tell me in the comments section below.

Around The Web
Chocolate Smoothie Recipes
Healthy Chinese New Year Foods
Tone It Up Community Instagram Accounts to Follow
How to Make a Mediterranean Diet Salad

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

Join The Conversation
ilanac13 ilanac13 7 years
when my mom did renovations on our house a couple years ago, she made sure to have these installed along with new smoke detectors. it's been something that we've heard about a lot - how it's really important to know what's in your house, so i agree, if you don't have them, then you should consider getting one put in.
PopSugar-Daily PopSugar-Daily 7 years
How random that my husband just installed one in our upstairs today — great minds think alike Fit!
Spectra Spectra 7 years
We just installed one recently because we installed a woodstove in our living room and that could potentially emit higher levels of CO than we'd like. I should probably get more than one though...I put one upstairs and I should probably get another one for downstairs.
kia kia 7 years
We definitely have one in our home. The plug in kind. We have a one level-home with a pretty open floor plan. We keep it in the kitchen. Last month a Denver family that won a stay in a vacation home in one of the resort towns from a charity auction all passed away from CO while on their vacation. It was really sad and could have been prevented with one of these.
kia kia 7 years
We definitely have one in our home. The plug in kind. We have a one level-home with a pretty open floor plan. We keep it in the kitchen.Last month a Denver family that won a stay in a vacation home in one of the resort towns from a charity auction all passed away from CO while on their vacation. It was really sad and could have been prevented with one of these.
sparklestar sparklestar 7 years
Where is the best place to put one in the kitchen? We've put it on the inside of the boiler cupboard (its the only place CO- might leak from).
sparklestar sparklestar 7 years
Fit, I think you are reading my mind! ;) The other day I was feeling breathless as I had drunk some red wine and your article about sulfites popped up and I've cut them out now (and feel better!!) and then yesterday I installed CO- detectors around the house. ;) CO- detectors have saved my life in the past. Some kids had kicked in the flue on my boiler (on the outside of the house) and carbon monoxide started leaking in. The detector turned black and I called the gas board to fix it. I would have never have known if it hadn't been for the detector.
sparklestar sparklestar 7 years
Fit, I think you are reading my mind! ;) The other day I was feeling breathless as I had drunk some red wine and your article about sulfites popped up and I've cut them out now (and feel better!!) and then yesterday I installed CO- detectors around the house. ;)CO- detectors have saved my life in the past. Some kids had kicked in the flue on my boiler (on the outside of the house) and carbon monoxide started leaking in. The detector turned black and I called the gas board to fix it. I would have never have known if it hadn't been for the detector.
Latest Fitness
X