- Buy Seasonal, Fresh Ingredients. Cat says using fresh ingredients is one of the best ways to ensure your meals will be healthy and taste great. She frequently visits her local farmers' markets to find foods to include in her recipes, especially fruits and vegetables at the peak of their season.
- Use Organic Products. Do organic products really make a difference? According to Cat, the answer is YES! She advises using sustainable organic products as often as possible.
- Add Flavor Without Adding Fat. According to Cat, another key to healthy cooking is to make sure you find ways to add flavor to your meals without increasing the fat content. She says there are plenty of flavorful seasonings that contain little or no fat, including citrus products, herbs, spices and vinegar.
- Grill, Braise or Roast Meats. You can grill, braise or roast meats instead of frying them to save calories. Cat says using recipes for braised meats can be particularly healthy, because these dishes usually require a very lean cut of meat.
- Substitute Healthier Ingredients. Cat reminds people not to be afraid to substitute healthier ingredients in their recipes. For instance, she says you can use yogurt instead of sour cream in sauces or olive oil instead of butter.
Around The Web
From Our Partners