Traditional potato latkes are amazing as is, but if you're looking to try a healthier twist, pick up a zucchini at the store and try this. Adding zucchini not only adds a fun green hue, but it also lowers the carbs and calories.
Keep reading to see this green twist on latkes.
- 1 large russet potato
1/3 medium sweet onion
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
Source: Calorie Count
- Grate the potato, zucchini, and onion in a food processor. Move grated veggies to a colander to allow the excess moisture to drain out. Gently press the veggies down to encourage more liquid to drain out.
- Move the mixture into a large bowl, and add the egg, flour, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add large spoonfuls of the batter to the pan, and shape them into pancakes that are about 1/4-inch thick. Cook each side until golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes per side.
- Place a paper towel on a plate, and put the cooked latkes on top so the extra oil can be absorbed.
- Serve warm with ketchup or applesauce.
- Vegetables, Appetizers
- 12 pancakes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Calories per serving
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.