You don't have to go drastic with your diet choices to up the health factor. There are ways to swap out ingredients in your favorite dishes without sacrificing them altogether. I've listed some of these ingredient substitutions below. Have any to add? Feel free to share your ideas in the comments!
- Agave nectar for sugar: While it should still be used sparingly, agave nectar is sweeter than sugar, so you'll be using less, plus it won't cause a spike in blood sugar levels like sugar.
- Avocado for butter: When baking, sub out half the butter with avocado for less calories, saturated fat, and cholesterol.
- Ground flaxseeds for eggs: Who knew flaxseeds could replace eggs in your baking recipes? One teaspoon of ground flaxseeds and 1/4 cup of water replaces a single egg.
- Parsnips for potatoes: Parsnips are just one kind out of many healthy veggies that can replace potatoes in a French fry recipe.
- Greek yogurt for whipped cream: Mixing in Greek yogurt with your whipped cream (or replacing it all together), cuts out fat, giving you more calcium, protein, iron, and healthy bacteria in the process.
- Turkey for beef: Try a healthy turkey burger instead of beef burger at your next BBQ.