Watching Rachael Ray while on the elliptical at the gym, I was inspired (and had an intense craving) to make stuffed bell peppers. She said they could be stuffed with anything, so I opted for quinoa, which is one of my new favorites. I also added some sauteed chopped crimini mushrooms, shallots and kale. This was an easy, great cook ahead dish for the busy workweek.
Read on for the recipe.
6 yellow bell peppers (any color will do)
2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms
3 shallots, diced
1/2 bunch of kale, chopped, stems discarded
1 tbs. olive oil + extra for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350. Make quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large pan and saute shallots and mushrooms. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste. After they are cooked (15-ish minutes) add kale and cook down.
- While that is cooking, cut tops off bell peppers and scoop out seeds and ribs.
- When quinoa is finished, add to large bowl and then add in mushroom mixture and combine thoroughly. Fill bell peppers with quinoa and mushroom mixture and place in pan. Drizzle tops with olive oil.
- Place pan in oven and roast for about an hour.
I made this in advance, let it cool, wrapped it with aluminum foil and refrigerated for later in the week. I then reheated it on 350 for about 1/2 hour, served with a green salad and some roasted beets, it was a fast and easy meatless meal.
- Main Dishes