Many gardens are overflowing with zucchini and fresh basil, so here's a delicious recipe that pairs the two. It's savory, warm, soft, and delicious. It's perfect for a low-cal appetizer or as a main dish — each piece is about 25 calories.
The creamy cheesy flavor complements the tender, juicy zucchinis beautifully, making this dish a healthier alternative when you're craving pizza.
Keep reading to see this simple, summery recipe.
1 cup tightly packed basil leaves
1 clove minced garlic (or half teaspoon garlic powder)
1/4 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup (4 oz.) fat-free ricotta cheese
1/8 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Juice from half a lemon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Wash each zucchini thoroughly. Cut off the ends and then cut each one in half. Then cut each half lengthwise so you have 12 pieces of zucchini total.
- With a spoon or paring knife, scoop out the seeds and compost them, or use them to make soup broth. Place the zucchini boats on a lightly oiled cookie sheet or Silpat.
- To make the filling, chop the basil and place it in a bowl with the garlic, grated carrot, ricotta, Parmesan, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix it thoroughly.
- Fill each boat with the creamy mixture. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
- Finger Foods, Appetizers
- North American
- 6 two-piece servings
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- Calories per serving
Source: Calorie Count