Who doesn't love cupping their hands around a warm bowl of oatmeal, especially during colder, Winter months? Aside from a satisfying breakfast, the nutritional power of fiber- and protein-filled oats can be enjoyed in other ways as well. If you're tired of oatmeal for breakfast, reap the benefits of oats with these ideas.
- Meatloaf or veggie burgers: Since oats have a sticky, gelatinous consistency when wet, they're great at binding ingredients. Try this basic meatloaf recipe from YumSugar, or if you're a vegetarian, substitute oats for the quinoa in this recipe for chickpea barley and quinoa veggie burgers.
- Pancakes: Try adding oats to pancake batter for a heartier stack of flapjacks. Here's one of my favorites: banana almond oatmeal pancakes.
- Topping on toast: Add fiber and protein by sprinkling rolled oats on toast smeared with almond butter, jam, or this homemade pumpkin butter.
- Cookies: Oatmeal cookies are a delicious way to enjoy oats, but if you're looking for a twist on the basic recipe, bake up these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies made with bananas and peanut butter.
- Energy bars: Oats taste amazing when paired with nuts and fruit, so if you're looking for a way to bite into oats, cook up these quinoa, apricot, and nut clusters, or a batch of these chewy pumpkin oatmeal coconut bars.