It's no secret that Michelle and President Obama are one fit couple. If you're wondering how they stay in shape with such a demanding lifestyle and with a personal pastry chef living under the same roof, the first lady has offered some tips in a recent issue of Prevention magazine.
- Include exercises in your routine that offer immediate results. Michelle says, "I enjoy arm exercises because you can see what it's hitting." So make sure your workouts target a specific area every time you work out, and the consistency will pay off. Now we have more information on her famous arms.
- Don't skip out on workouts. If the wife of the president of the United States can make time to work out, so can you. She wakes up at 4:30 every morning so she has time to fit it in.
- Cross train and mix up your routine. Doing the same types of workouts over and over again is boring and a great way to injure yourself. So Mrs. Obama varies her workouts with Pilates, cardio, stretching, and weights.
To see the rest of Michelle's advice
- Have no absolute "nos." The first lady admits, "I love French fries, I like a good burger, and I like pie. And that's okay. I would be depressed if I felt I could never eat the things that I love."
- Practice moderation. The presidential couple encourages their daughters to make healthy choices when it comes to not-so-healthy foods, and to not be obsessed. So if one asks, "Can I have pie?" Michelle will answer, "Did you have pie last night?" It's all about making healthy choices and finding the balance between indulging in what you love and not overdoing it.
At my house, the girls are always asking for ice cream; I'm going to try the first lady's answer.