I’m in love with this bread, or maybe I’m in love with all the healthy foods we receive from our local farmers and our CSA plan. Either way it’s a win-win. My fridge is now stocked with so many healthy food options. This moist, delicious bread was created using zucchini, lemons, and rosemary from our box this week. Yum! The lemon zest combined with rosemary will lift your mood, even if it’s a rainy Spring day. Not to mention all the nutrients you get from this no-oil, no-sugar bread. No ideas for lunch? Have this with a little Greek yogurt, and you are good to go.
Read on for the recipe.
3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
1 1/4 cups combo of honey, agave, and brown rice syrup
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
3 cups grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare two four-by-nine-inch loaf pans, either coating them with butter or spraying them with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and rosemary.
- Beat the eggs in a mixer (or by hand) until frothy. Beat in the avocados until combined, then add in honey, agave, and brown rice syrup. Continue beating until combined. Stir in the lemon zest and grated zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, a third at a time, stirring after each incorporation.
- Divide dough into two loaf pans. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Test after 25 minutes. If you gently press down on the surface of the loaf, it should bounce back, and a bamboo skewer inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool for a few minutes and then remove the loaves from their pans to cool on a rack.
Makes 16 slices.