We're definitely making these creepy Halloween crawlers from FitSugar reader eatingbirdfood — especially since they're made from good-for-you ingredients like dark chocolate and pecans. She posted her recipe in our Healthy Recipe community group.
With their pecan bodies and dark chocolate coating, these little roaches are better for you than your average piece of Halloween candy.
Keep reading to learn how to make this Halloween treat!
* Parchment paper
* 30 pecans halves
* 4-5 squares of dark chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 72% Twilight Delight)
* Chocolate Sprinkles
* Round Halloween colored sprinkles (white, orange, purple)
1. Pour about 1/2 cup or so of chocolate sprinkles and 1/4 cup of colored sprinkles into two separate, shallow bowls.
2. Chop dark chocolate into small, even pieces. Melt chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler until smooth.
3. Submerge pecan halves in melted chocolate and move around until the pecan is covered.
4. Remove the pecan from the chocolate allowing access chocolate to drip off. Dip each pecan, flat side down into the chocolate sprinkles to make little cockroach legs.
5. Place pecan on parchment paper sprinkle side down.
6. Continue the same technique for all the pecans, then drop two small round colored sprinkles to the smaller end of all the pecans to make eyes.
7. Let the pecans sit for a few hours so the chocolate can set, remove from parchment paper and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
**I used the microwave method by placing chopped chocolate chunks in a microwave safe bowl and heating in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time. After the first 30 seconds, I pulled the bowl out and stirred the chocolate, then put it back in for another 30 seconds. After the second 30 seconds I pulled it out and stirred again until the chocolate was smooth and creamy.
- Desserts, Candy
Share your own healthy creations in our community Healthy Recipe group, and we may feature you on our homepage!