In order to lose a pound in seven days, you need to cut out or burn 3,500 calories in a week. That's 500 fewer calories per day. If you just can't squeeze in a workout, then here's how you can cut those calories out of your diet — a little bit at a time.
Please note that this is not a full day's meal plan, but rather examples of where you can cut calories in your daily diet.
- Choose vanilla Greek yogurt (120 calories) instead of blueberry-flavored (140 calories) to eat with your granola: save 20 calories.
- Top yogurt with half a cup of fresh berries (42 calories) instead of adding a quarter cup of raisins (108 calories): save 57 calories.
Breakfast calories saved: 77
Continue reading to find out how to cut the rest of your calories from lunch, dinner, and dessert.
- Choose a whole wheat pita (170 calories) over two slices of whole-wheat bread (220 calories): save 50 calories.
- Smear two tablespoons of hummus (70 calories) on your sammy instead of mayo (180 calories): save 110 calories.
Lunch calories saved: 160
- Go for a Boca All American Classic veggie burger patty (140 calories) or turkey burger patty (190 calories) over a beef patty (380 calories): save at least 190 calories.
- Pour on two tablespoons of Annie's Gingerly Vinaigrette (40 calories) instead of two tablespoons of Goddess dressing (120 calories): save 80 calories.
Dinner calories saved: 270
- Skip the homemade chocolate-chip cookie (177 calories) and nosh on three squares of organic dark chocolate (60 calories): save 117 calories.
Dessert calories saved: 117
Total calories saved: 615
See how easy that was? With healthier food swaps, you can cut calories without missing them and still lose weight! If you don't want to give up on food, then here's a treadmill workout to torch 500 calories.