Other signs you should seek medical attention include:
- You're constantly in pain, even when walking and resting.
- The pain gets worse.
- Your joints lock.
- Swelling or bruising doesn't go away.
If you aren't experiencing the above signs, there are many ways to treat minor injuries at home. Find out my tips when you
- For shin splints, be sure to rest and ice your shins for 20 minutes, at least twice a day.
- With a pulled muscle, once you've iced the area and the pain subsides, stretching and low impact exercise will get the blood flowing again.
- If you sprain your ankle, remember R.I.C.E. — rest, ice, compression, elevation.
- When icing, start ASAP for the best results.
- For chronic pains such as sore, stiff, nagging joint or muscle pain, apply heat not ice.
How do you handle a sports injury? What have you found works/doesn't work for you?