Feeling a bit stuffed? It is a common problem on Thanksgiving and can lead to discomfort. Here are a few ways to aid your digestion and detox after your big meal.After the meal:
- Drink herbal tea: ginger tea, chamomile, and peppermint all improve digestion. Warm beverages promote digestion in general, so if you don't have these on hand, any kind of herbal tea will help.
- Chewable papaya enzyme can help promote digestion as well.
- Don't lie down for two to three hours after eating to avoid indigestion and acid reflux.
Learn how to help your digestive system tomorrow when you
The next morning:
- Eat oatmeal for breakfast. It is high in insoluble fiber, which helps get things moving, if you know what I mean.
- Drink plenty of water to help the body digest and eliminate waste. Insoluble fiber needs water to help it do its magic.
The rest of the day:
- Eat foods high in insoluble fiber at every meal, like carrot sticks with your turkey sandwich (made with whole wheat bread, of course).
- Get moving. Exercise stimulates the intestines, and this will get things moving as well. A little sweating helps the body process and burn the extra calories you consumed. Plus a good workout helps eliminate any guilt you might be feeling about having second helpings of almost every dish.
- Skip the alcohol for the day after, especially if you imbibed heavily on Thanksgiving. It will give your liver a break while it works to help break down all the fat from your prior day's meal.