Toning your triceps — the muscles that run on the backside of your upper arm, from your shoulder to your elbow — is one way to easily prep your arms for tank tops. A basic body-weight exercise, triceps dips don't require much equipment: if you don't have a bench, you can always do them on the ground.
Here's how to do this move:
- Position your hands shoulder-width apart on a secured bench or stable chair.
- Slide your butt off the front of the bench with your legs extended out in front of you.
- Straighten your arms, keeping a little bend in your elbows to keep tension on your triceps and off your elbow joints.
- Slowly bend your elbows to lower your body toward the floor until your elbows are at about a 90-degree angle. Be sure to keep your back close to the bench.
- Once you reach the bottom of the movement, press down into the bench to straighten your elbows, returning to the starting position. This completes one rep.
- Keep your shoulders down as you lower and raise your body. You can bend your legs to modify this exercise.
Do 15 to 20 reps per set and aim to do two to three sets.