A dried mango addiction is no laughing matter to your wallet. A small container can run you almost $10! That's just insane when a fresh mango costs about $2. Aside from costing too much at the health-food store, some dried mango is made with added sugar or preservatives. Save triply on money, calories, and chemicals by making your own homemade chewy treat. It's the perfect indoor project on a cold Winter day.
- 2 ripe mangoes
- Preheat oven to 185ºF or as low as your oven will go. Place a Silpat silicone mat on a baking sheet.
- Wash both mangoes, and use a peeler to remove the skin.
- Cut into thin slices, and place them on the Silpat.
- Put the mango in the oven, and bake for 2 to 3 hours, flipping them over every 30 minutes or until they're dry. Avoid cooking too long, or you'll end up with mango chips!
- Store leftovers (if there are any!) in an airtight container. Since these babies are preservative-free, enjoy them within a few days.
Here's the nutritional info for 1/4 of the batch (6 to 8 pieces, depending on the size).
- Other, Snacks
- 4 servings of 6 to 8 pieces each
- Cook Time
- 3 hours
- Calories per serving