- Avoid licking your lips. Saliva will momentarily add moisture but it will evaporate, making your lips even drier. Also, your saliva contains some digestive enzymes, which will irritate sore lips even more.
- Keep your lips moisturized with lip balm. Ones with beeswax, such as Burt's Bees Lip Balm, are soothing and long lasting. If you're outside a lot, use tinted lip balms with SPF to keep your lips protected from sun exposure, which can also dry them out.
- Add moisture to the air you breathe with a humidifier. Keep it running in your bedroom while you sleep, since a heated home can cause you to wake up with dry lips that will crack when you yawn. Youch!
To find out what other ways you can prevent dry, cracked lips read more.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day. We tend to forget to hydrate properly since it's cold out, but it's just as important as getting enough water in the Summer. Use Fit's Calculator to figure out how much water you should be drinking each day, and keep a water bottle with you while you work to help you remember.
- Limit the amount of alcohol and caffeine you consume, since these can dehydrate your skin.