Want to know how you can prevent fissures? Then
- Drink lots of water throughout your day to help moisturize your body from the inside out.
- Get a humidifier going in your home to return moisture to the air.
- Before you go to sleep, lather your feet up with intense moisturizing lotion, salve, or body butter, and place socks over them.
- Avoid moisturizing your tootsies before exercising, as this can make your footing slippery and lead to injury.
- To get rid of dry skin on your heels, try using a pumice stone in the shower. It gently sloughs off dead skin cells, eventually revealing softer, smoother skin. If you already have small cracks, just be careful not to irritate those areas.
- I know it's tempting to continue running, but if you have a deep fissure, the pressure of your pounding feet will only make it worse. Switch to walking until your fissure is under control.
- If you already have a big crack, make an appointment with a podiatrist. They can help get rid of the hard, dry skin, so that your fissure can heal.
Image Source: Thinkstock