Want a balanced lunch that offers fiber and protein? A sandwich has your back, but choose the wrong add-ons and condiments, and it's a whole day's worth of calories in a few bites. Here are ways to cut calories from this favorite lunchable — they may not be huge amounts, but keep in mind that little bits definitely add up.
- Whole wheat pita (170) instead of two slices of whole-wheat bread (200): saves 30 calories
- Spinach wrap (180) instead of a sun-dried tomato and basil wrap (210): saves 30 calories
- Make this lighten-up chicken salad on a multigrain English muffin (289) instead of a mayo-laden chicken salad sandwich (501): saves 212 calories
- Two pieces of Romaine lettuce (10) instead of a whole-wheat wrap (130): saves 120 calories
- Go open-faced: Eat one side of a whole wheat roll (190) instead of the whole roll (380): saves 190 calories
- Two ounces of sliced roasted turkey (50) instead of two ounces of sliced ham (70): saves 20 calories
- Go for two ounces of sliced roasted chicken (60) or two ounces of sliced roast beef (60) instead of two ounces of sliced pastrami (82): saves 22 calories
- On your BLT, choose three Lightlife smoky tempeh strips (100) instead of three slices of bacon (138): saves 38 calories
- For cheese, choose one slice of provolone (98) instead of one slice of cheddar cheese (113): saves 15 calories
- One tomato slice (5) instead of one tablespoon of ketchup (20): saves 15 calories
- One tablespoon Greek yogurt cucumber dill dip (30) instead of one tablespoon mayo (90): saves 60 calories
- To munch along with your sandwich, choose 15 blue corn chips (140) instead of 15 potato chips (160): saves 20 calories
Need some nutritious sandwich ideas? Check out these hearty and healthy vegetarian sammies.