Kelly Osbourne looks amazing rocking a red bikini on the December cover of Shape — a journey that has been a year in the making. After dealing with addictions to both painkillers and food, the star found her saving grace in Dancing With the Stars. Being on the show transformed the way Kelly thought about diet and exercise, and today she is a verifiable health nut! The biggest pay off of her journey? Today Kelly absolutely loves who she sees in the mirror. Check out these before and after pics of Kelly, even more pics from the cover shoot from Pop, and keep reading to see what she told Shape:
- On the effects of negative attention on her weight: "I was called fat and ugly in the press almost my entire life. I understand that being judged by others comes with the territory, but it broke my heart and ruined my self-esteem. It sets you up to hate yourself in a huge way. I was so angry about the things people said about me. I truly believe it's the main reason I turned to Vicodin and ended up in rehab three times. I just hated myself."
- On being an emotional eater: "I replaced the drugs with food and just got fatter and fatter. I'm an emotional eater. When I get upset, my diet goes out the window."
- On how DWTS changed her diet: "I'd fill up on french fries and pizza all day and wonder why I wasn't losing weight. In the very beginning, I kept getting sick during rehearsals because I was eating such terrible, fatty food and feeling so exhausted."
To hear what Kelly says about losing the weight, her favorite workout, and rocking a bikini, just
- On learning to love how she looked: "I would look at myself and think, 'Ugh!' I was miserable. To get to the gym — when you already don't like yourself — is really hard. So I had to make it fun. I started wearing cute outfits and putting on a little bit of makeup. And as vain as it sounds, it really helped me because eventually I stopped hating the way I looked."
- On losing 50 pounds: "Ultimately, I'm really glad I lost the weight the way I did. I never thought in a million years I'd be that healthy girl who wakes up every morning to exercise."
- On her new favorite workout: "My girlfriends and I just started doing plyometrics. It's a killer — it hurts so much. But when you walk out of there, you're like, 'I can't believe I just did that and my body looks this good.'"
- On wearing a bikini: "I've never worn a bikini in my whole life . . . I'm so nervous . . . After being called 'cherubic and chubby,' I'm rocking a bikini! I feel silly, but I think I'm going to cry. Being on the cover of Shape is the biggest victory I could ever hope for."