The following post was written by Olympic athlete and mom Kerri Walsh, two-time gold medalist in beach volleyball.July 4th weekend means fun in the sun and barbecues galore. It's pretty much impossible to resist burgers and hot dogs fresh off the grill or an ice cold soda just out of the cooler, so I've put together a few easy-to-remember and satisfying tips that always help me stay healthy over the holiday.
- Downsize: Place your food on a dessert plate instead of a large-sized dinner plate. It will keep you from overdoing on the potato salad and if you're still hungry, you can always go back for more.
- Eat Like an American: Red, white, and blue foods like strawberries, blueberries, and grilled chicken are packed with nutrients, taste great and will keep your waistline trim.
For more easy to put to practice tips, keep on reading.
- Don't Eat and Talk: I always run into old friends and end up standing next to the food table nibbling mindlessly on chips and cookies while we reminisce. Before I know it I've eaten way too much. If you run into your BFF from third grade next to the brownies, ask her if she wants to sit down somewhere (far from the food!) and catch up.
- Play Games: Bocce, badminton, soccer, tag, and of course, volleyball, are all great backyard barbecue games. Organize your friends, get a game going, play hard, then reward yourself to some ice cream.
- Potluck: The right potluck item will help you keep the pot belly away, so ask your host if you can bring something. Fruit salad, some portobello mushrooms for the grill or veggies and hummus to snack on are all delicious and easy choices.
Be sure to catch up and read all of Kerri’s great posts on FitSugar!