Lentils are one of our favorite foods, and the red ones seem particularly autumnal. Considered a weight-loss superfood, lentils make for warming Fall soup. This recipe puts flavor back into lentils with cumin and turmeric, the bright yellow spice known for its anti-inflammatory properties. To increase the seasonality of the soup, we've added butternut squash to it, too.
The prep for this lentil soup is simple, making it a perfect weeknight dinner; the soup practically cooks itself. Check out the recipe when you read more.
- 5 cups veggie stock, or 5 cups water
1 cup red lentils
3 medium onions
1 butternut squash
5 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup coriander, chopped (or to your taste)
Salt and black pepper
Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Peel and roughly chop the onions and butternut squash; it can be chunky.
- Combine with the stock or water, lentils, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and turmeric in a pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until the squash and lentils are cooked, about 20-30 minutes.
- Puree the soup, adding in the coriander and the juice of the lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste; garnish with cilantro.
Nutritional Source: Calorie Count
- Soups/Stews, Bean
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.