You've hit the gym three times a week for the past two months but your bikini still doesn't fit the way you're hoping. Weight loss is a slow and steady race, but if your workouts aren't delivering the results, it's time to kick it up a notch with intervals. Whether you're walking, running, or biking, here are four ways intervals can help you lose weight faster.
- Bye-bye pooch: Have a tummy you can't seem to get rid of? Researchers compared working out at a steady pace to intervals and discovered that individuals lost more belly fat when doing interval training.
- More calories burned per workout: Running at a pace of 10 minutes per mile for 30 minutes burns 270 calories*. Include one-minute speed intervals at a pace of seven minutes per mile every three minutes, and you'll burn about 300 calories. If you run three times a week, those extra calories per workout add up to almost 100 more calories burned.
- Zippy metabolism: Researchers found that periods of intense cardio fire up certain genes that initiate the fat-burning process and after-burn effect, which translates to more calories burned even after the workouts is over.
- Stronger muscles: Muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle mass you have, the better it is for weight loss. Sprinting intervals will strengthen the muscles in your legs and booty, which not only help you feel more confident on the beach, those sculpted muscles also use up more calories.
Here are some workouts to try to help you get started:
- 400-Calorie-Burning Walking Interval Workout
- 300-Calorie-Burning Walking-Jogging Workout
- Elliptical Interval Workout
- 300-Calorie Burning Running Interval Workout
- Belly-Blasting Sprinting and Walking Workout
*Calculations based on a 130-pound woman.