I am fired up about Fall, not only because the leaves are changing but also because it is my favorite time to hit the tennis courts. If you're thinking about playing and are not quite clear on the scoring (like my hubbie), here are the basics to playing tennis.
- Four points to win a game, with at least two points more than your opponent.
- Six games to win a set with at least two games more than your opponent.
- If the set is tied at six games each a tiebreaker game is played and the player who wins that game wins the set with a score of 7-6 for the set (for scoring on this please see Experts: Tennis since it is fairly complicated).
- Two sets to win a match for women and three sets to win a match for men.
To find out the basics of individual scoring, just
Individual game scoring works like this (the score of the player serving is always listed first):
- Love = Zero points
- One point = 15
- Two points = 30
- Three points = 40
- Deuce = both players have 40 (sometimes you will hear "40 All")
- Advantage goes to the player that wins the point after deuce, but after being tied at deuce a player needs to win two consecutive points to win a game
The more you watch the game the more this will all make sense. Most importantly, have fun playing, especially now that you know how to score.