We are pumped to share one of our favorite stories from Self here on FitSugar!
If you overindulged last month because of Halloween (or because you were trapped indoors courtesy of Hurricane Sandy) don't worry — so did we. But if all of the munching reactivated your sweet tooth, try one of these treats packed with flavor and nutritional benefits, too.
- Freeze-dried fruit snacks: While you may be familiar with dried fruit, freeze-dried fruit is a totally different option that has a distinctively satisfying crunch — and doesn't sap the plants of any of their nutrients. Try Funky Monkey's Pink Pineapple freeze-dried fruit: There are no preservatives or sweeteners, just pineapple and guava. Did we mention it has 40% of your daily Vitamin C needs in a serving, too?
- Dark chocolate pomegranates: If you like chocolate-covered raisins, then you've got to try these dark-chocolate covered pomegranate arils. And since both pomegranate and dark chocolate are both nutritional superfoods, one single serving (15 g) package provides 40 mg of flavanol antioxidants and contains only 65 calories.
- Fruit leathers: If you have always been a fan of chewy, sweet and tangy fruity candy (think: gummy bears, Sour Patch Kids), then you should try fruit leather. The "belts" are lower in sugar and higher in heart-healthy potassium and fiber than traditional fruit-flavored candies, making 'em an easy choice.
Read on for more nutritious sweet snacks!
- Cotton candy grapes: While these may look like your ordinary seedless green grapes, after one bite, you'll know that they are anything but. The initial burst of flavor is remarkably like cotton candy and then has a smooth, juicy finish. I recommend freezing them and serving in a bowl as a delicious icy treat or use instead of ice cubes to dress up any drink with a sweet touch. You can find cotton candy grapes some specialty markets, or you can order them online.
- Dark chocolate-drizzled popcorn: As a huge fan of both dark chocolate and popcorn, I was over the moon after trying Dark Chocolatier Sea Salt Holidrizzle Kettle Corn from Angie's Artisan Treats. You can enjoy a cup and a half of this chocolatey goodness for only 130 calories that will satisfy both sweet and salty cravings. Grab a bag or make your own by spreading popped popcorn out on a cookie sheet, melting dark chocolate chips in the microwave, drizzling the chocolate over the popcorn and then let sit until the chocolate has hardened.
MORE ON SELF.COM:
- Lose Weight and Feel Great with The Drop 10 Diet Book!
- SELF's 2012 Healthy Food Award Winners
- Join the SELF Diet Club and Lose 2 Pounds This Week!