Actress Marisa Tomei, 45, barely looks like she's aged since winning an Oscar for her performance in My Cousin Vinny 18 years ago. And that's partly because she lives life to the fullest, giving everything a childlike vibrancy — even her workouts. As Shape's August cover girl, Marisa shares her go-to hula-hoop workout with readers, and how she stays so darn happy. Here are the highlights:
- On her love of dance: "It's not like jogging, where you're working on your exterior. It's about feeling the interior and being at home in your body. Movement is truly transformative."
- On eating with the seasons: "I keep my meals really simple because when the ingredients are this fresh, you don't have to do that much."
- On buying local: "It's not just about buying local fresh food, which then, translates into healthy things for your body and skin. It's also about being part of the community and looking the people in the eye who have grown that food. All of these connections add to the vibrancy of life."
- On her daily detox: "I never got into coffee. It may take me a little longer to get going than other people, but this [hot water with lemon] just feels really cleansing in the morning."
- On hula-hooping: "Once I started doing it regularly, I felt like hooping worked all the little muscles around my body — it shimmied everything into place!"