Strengthening your quads not only prevents injuries to your knees when running, but it also makes you stronger and faster. Not to mention, toned thighs also look great in a bathing suit. Here's a squat sequence I love to do because it instantly burns my thighs. When you do squats holding weights, it'll also work your upper body, so this exercise is super challenging. You're guaranteed to feel sore the next day.
Music: "As is," by Ani Difranco
For details on how to do this squat sequence,
- Stand with your feet together. Place a dumbbell in each hand, bend your elbows and rest the weights gently on your shoulders. Do 10 squats here.
- Then separate your feet hips-width distance apart and straighten your arms overhead. Do another 10 squats.
- Next, bend your elbows at 90-degree angles and separate your feet even further. Point your toes out slightly and do 10 wide squats.
- Bring your feet back in so they're hips-width distance apart. Straighten your arms overhead and do 10 more squats.
- Step your feet back together, bend your elbows, and rest the weights on your shoulders for the last 10 squats.
- Repeat sequence a total of three times.