It may be odd, but it's true: I often get my best arm workout while making dinner. It's not that I'm stirring the pot like a maniac or that I'm lifting so much iron-clad cookware. It's the in-between moments that I take the time to drop to the kitchen floor for a few push-ups or challenging yoga moves that provide me a mini exercise break. When I first started the quirky ritual, my kids began doing it with me. Now it's a cooking ritual for all of us to do a few sun salutations followed up with a quick set of push-ups. If you're not a fan of occasional crumbs on your hands, consider making one of these moments your "drop and do 20" time.
- During commercial breaks.
- While the bath water is running.
- Before you brush your teeth.
- After putting a load of laundry in the washer.
- During the weather report.
- Before eating lunch — sneak into a conference room at work!
- Copy me and do it in the kitchen when you have a minute to kill.
No need to stick with the basic push-up; here are five fun and challenging variations. So where do you drop for 20?