If you love poses that increase flexibility in your spine and stretch through your abs and chest then you're going to love Rising Cobra. It's similar to Cobra Hero, but allows the person on the bottom to get even deeper into the pose. The sensation is similar to the backbend in the double pose The Fountain.
Want to know how to do this pose with a partner? Then
- Partner #1 (man) lies on his belly with his knees together and his arms by his sides.
- Partner #2 (woman) stands straddling Partner #1, right behind his hips. She bends her knees and reaches for his hands, and they clasp each other's wrists firmly.
- Then Partner #2 slowly begins to stand up, assisting Partner #2 into a variation of Cobra. Partner #1 should be doing most of the work to lift his torso up, which will strengthen his lower back muscles. Partner #2 is just supporting the stretch.
- Now Partner #2 tucks her tailbone in, presses her hips forward, and gently arches back. At the same time, Partner #1 wants to focus on tucking in his tailbone, pressing his hips towards the ground, and lengthening through his spine.
- They hold for five or more deep breaths, and then Partner #2 stands up straight, and slowly bends her knees to help Partner #1 lower his torso back to the ground.
- Partner # 1 can come into Child's Pose for five breaths to stretch through his lower back, and then they can switch positions.