The Mermaid is one of my favorite of all Pilates stretching series. It really stretches out the upper body in such an elegant fashion and is really great for opening up the chest.
Follow along and mirror the movement (do as I say, not as I do - just like Pilates mat class with the instructor facing the class).
- If the position bothers your hip, ankle or knee you can lengthen your back leg out to the side. Begin by stretching toward the leg that is stretched out to the side.
- To see more detail on the "Z" leg position read this definition with photo. It will surely help.
- To protect your knee, place the top of the foot on the ground and not out to the side.
- Keep the motion fluid and don't jam into any of your joints.
- When side bending toward your back leg, think of reaching on the high diagonal rather than down toward your knee. This should help keep pressure out of your knee.
- When circling your arm around look at your hand as it circles this will increase the upper body stretch.
Music by Benny Benassi