We all know that portion control is the key to healthy eating as well as losing and maintaining weight. When you are about to bite into a nice chunk of cheese, it is hard to recall just exactly how big four dice actually are. Four dice is about the equivalent oh a portion of cheese, but who keeps dice in their pockets?
According to Jennifer Nelson, director of clinical dietetics at the Mayo Clinic, all you really need as a portion serving cheat sheet is your hands, fingers and thumbs.
To see how Nelson told Men's Health how hands can guide you through the jungle of portion control, just
- Two fingers = 1 serving of cheese
- Open palm = 1 serving of meat
- Closed fist = 1 serving of fruit or vegetables
- Cupped hand = 1 serving of cereal or grain
- Tip of thumb = 1 serving of margarine, oil, or salad dressing
- Thumb = 1 serving of candy