After Thanksgiving, my good friend, a girl who literally didn't know how to boil water, sent me this recipe, using her turkey leftovers. I loved the idea of pulled turkey and her fiberlicious add-ins, so had to feature it.
See the recipe after the break!
* = good source of fiber
- 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil or palm oil (or extra virgin olive oil if you have neither)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, coarsely chopped, with 1 tsp. sauce
- 2 cups leftover turkey, pulled apart and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 (12-ounce) dark beer
- 4 cups crushed or coarsely chopped tomatoes, with their juice
- 2 cups kidney beans
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- ¼ cup flax seed meal
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, chili powder, and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and the chipotle chile and sauce; cook about 1 minute more.
2. Add the turkey and beer and simmer until reduced by about half, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the beans and corn; bring to a boil. Add flax.
3. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick, 30 minutes.
For this and other fiberlicious recipes, visit www.fortheloveoffiber.com.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 454
- Total Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
- Sodium: 664 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 52 g
- Dietary Fiber: 14 g
- Sugars: 7 g
- Protein: 29 g