FitSugar reader livewell360 is gearing up for Fall with a pumpkin butter recipe. She posted the recipe in our Healthy Recipe community group.
Fresh, homemade pumpkin butter is so yummy on waffles, pancakes, bread, oatmeal, and yogurt!
See the recipe after the break!
4 cups pumpkin puree (yielded from two small 4-6″ baking pumpkins)
1/4 cup apple cider
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp stevia or agave (to taste)
To Roast the Pumpkin:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the exterior of the pumpkins, cut them in half, and remove the seeds and stringy stuff (save seeds for later baking).
- Lay the pumpkin cut side down on a baking sheet covered in tin foil (spray the foil with olive oil or wipe it with a dab of coconut oil on a paper towel). Place into the oven and bake for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow them to cool so that you can handle them.
Pumpkin Butter Instructions:
- Scoop out the roasted pumpkin and place 4 cups into mixing bowl or stand mixer. Add the apple cider, spices, and stevia and mix until incorporated.
- Place into a medium size sauce pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Mixture will thicken and reduce. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the frig (or you may can it, if you are into canning). Serve over waffles, pancakes, bread, oatmeal, yogurt, frozen yogurt!
Share your own recipe in our Healthy Recipe group, and we may feature it on the homepage!
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.