You know how I love to mix it up when strength training, and push-up variations are some of my favorites since they're such effective exercises when it comes to strengthening your upper body. Here's another variation for you to give a whirl. It not only works your arms and upper back, but you'll also get a nice stretch in your hips. Try it out after your next run to give your upper body a little workout while stretching your hip flexors.
"Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry
For more details on how to do this push-up,
- Begin in the top of a push-up position with your shoulders above your wrists, and your body in one straight line. Draw your belly button toward your spine to protect your lower back.
- Do one push-up, bending the elbows, and then straightening them again.
- Step your right foot forward to the outside of your right hand. Look up and press your pelvis slightly forward to increase the stretch in your right hip and left hip flexor. Then step your right foot back and do another push-up.
- Step your left foot forward to the outside of your left hand as you gaze up and press your pelvis forward. Then step your left foot back, lower down and do another push-up.
- You just completed one repetition. Do as many as you can, eventually doing two sets of 10. If this is too difficult, make them a little easier by resting your knees on the floor.