Right about now, gardens across the country are overflowing with tomatoes, so here's a quick recipe you can whip up before they go bad.
To see the easy recipe
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1 block of firm tofu, cubed
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
3 cups diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can black beans, rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
4 whole wheat tortillas
- In a pan, sauté the onions in one teaspoon of olive oil on medium heat.
- In a separate pan, sauté tofu in one teaspoon oil. Season with some salt and pepper, stirring every so often until lightly browned.
- Add the peppers to the pan with the onions, and sauté for five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, the cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper, and cook on low for 10 minutes, or until it's thickened up. Mix in the black beans and cook for another few minutes.
- Stir in the tofu and remove from heat. Place in a storage container for now.
- Wash the pan and place it back on the stove on medium heat with one teaspoon olive oil. Place a tortilla in the pan and spin it around to distribute the oil.
- On one half, sprinkle a little shredded cheese. Add half a cup or so of the tomato and bean mixture, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle on a little more cheese and fold the tortilla in half. Cook on both sides for a couple minutes, then serve.
- Cook up the rest of the quesadillas or place the tomato mixture in the fridge for later.
- Main Dishes