- It's the perfect time of year — the air is chilly so you won't overheat, there are no bugs, the ground is less muddy, and the foliage is gorgeous. It's a great way to celebrate Fall.
- It's a major calorie burner. An hour of mountain biking burns over 500 calories.
- You can forget about doing endless squats and lunges because mountain biking will effectively tone your thighs and booty. Since you have to pedal hard up steep hills, you really feel the burn in your lower body.
- Once you purchase a mountain bike, cycling shoes, and a helmet, the trails are usually free, so it's a great way to stay fit during a time when we're all pinching pennies. Visit a bike shop and purchase an old model that stores are trying to get rid of, or check out Craigslist if you're on a budget.
To see why else you should start mountain biking
- It's a great alternative for people who say that running hurts their knees or back.
- Since you're biking through narrow trails, over roots and rocks, dodging tree limbs and holes, you really tune your sense of balance. It also requires more awareness and quick thinking, so boredom just isn't an issue.
- It's a great form of exercise you can do with a friend or whole group. Not only is there safety in numbers, but your pals can suggest new places to ride.
- It's hardcore. I feel so tough after a ride in the woods because mountain biking is so challenging. I come home with scratches from branches, bruises from falling (since I'm a beginner), and mud on my legs. Aside from strengthening my body, my inner self feels stronger.
Tell me, have you ever tried mountain biking?